Boulder NIST Police
- Chief of Police:
- Admin. Assistant / Site Badging
- Police Supervisor:
EMERGENCY SERVICES DIVISION
NIST Police Services Group
OF VISITORS (Does not pertain to Affiliates)
(U.S. Citizen & Green Card holder,
Childcare Center, Vendor, Contractor,
Conference Foriegn National and Family)
ENTRY TO SITE
TYPES OF VISITORS (Does not pertain to
- U.S. Citizen visitor or "Green Card Holding"
Visitor (non-federal personnel)
- Commerce Childcare Center Parent
- Vendor (including Delivery, Mail, Taxi,
- Conference, Meeting, Seminar Attendee
- Foreign National
- Individuals 16 years and older must get a
- If a person under the age of 16 is alone
and requesting entry, the individual is
required to obtain a visitor badge.
- Federal Employees and selected Affiliates
can pre-announce a visitor by either calling
the Visitor Center (303-497-4433) or faxing
(303-497-7402 or 303-497-6370) a Visitor Pre-Announcement
Request Form to the Visitor
- Federal Employees and selected Affiliates
can request a visitor badge be issued for up
to 29 days by the Visitor Center.
- US Citizen: All categories of
visitors, unless otherwise approved, are
authorized access to the site anytime, but
must be escorted.
- Foreign National: Must be approved
by MRSO and are only authorized access to
the site during normal business hours,
Monday through Friday, 6:00 AM to 7:00 PM,
but need to be escorted at all times.
- Other Government ID - Needs to be
Pre-Announced at the Visitor Center and
needs to have a Visitor Badge
- Visitors will need to present a U.S. photo
ID (US state drivers license, Passport, US
state issued photo ID, etc), Commerce ID
(other Government Ids), Green Card or foreign
passport. No other forms of identification are
accepted. To drive on site, a visitor MUST
present a valid state or home nation driver's
- Visitors not able to present required photo
identification cannot come on site.
a. U.S. Citizen Visitor or "Green Card"
- Must be pre-announced by a Federal
Employee or Selected Affiliate who is on the
authorized "vouching list."
- To pre-announce a visitor: call the
Visitor Center (303-497-4433), or fax
(303-497-7402) a Visitor Pre-Announcement Request
Form to the Visitor Center.
- When announcing the visitor provide the
Visitor Center with visitor's name, date
& time of arrival, sponsor's name and
contact number, length of visit, building
and room number.
b. Commerce Childcare Center (CCC) Parent
- The CCC Director will request a CCC Parent
Badge by faxing the Childcare Form for a
parent to whom the badge is to be
- A CCC Parent Badge is issued for up to 1
year or to the end of the year which ever
- A Personal Identification Number (PIN)
that will access the CCC will be issued to
the parent by the NIST Police through the
- A CCC Parent is only permitted access to
the site on business days, Monday through
Friday, 7:00 AM to 6:00 PM.
- The PIN issued for CCC access will also
open the vehicle exit lane gate.
- The CCC Parent Badge is issued at the
- A Vendor badge is issued to an individual
as a company agent; therefore, the company
must send a letter on its letterhead to the
NIST Police requesting that a vendor badge
- The letter must contain the full name of
the person for whom the badge is requested;
last four numbers of the individual's social
security number, his/her driver's license
number (if the individual is going to drive
on the campus), his/her date of birth, the
company point-of-contact (including title
and phone number), and the frequency the
person will be requiring access to the
site. The letter must be signed by the
- The letter cannot be signed by the
individual for whom the badge is being
- Vendor badges are issued at the Visitor
- A Vendor Badge may be issued for a maximum
of 3 months at which time another letter
will be required to renew access.
- The Vendor Badge will provide access
during normal business days, Monday through
Friday, 6:00 AM through 7:00 PM, unless
otherwise coordinated and approved by the
- Some Contractors may require a Federal
Government issued Identification Card such
as a CAC or GSA card. Since the process to
obtain these cards is protracted, interim
Identification Badges will be issued by the
NIST Police. NIST Police will issue NIST,
NTIA and NOAA Contractors for the length of
stay until a GSA card/CAC has been issued.
These Contractor Badges can be renewed if
- The Contractor Badge will provide access
to the site during normal business days,
Monday through Friday 6:00 AM to 7:00 PM,
unless otherwise coordinated and approved by
- Contractors on site more than 30-days
require a background investigation initiated
through the MRSO. For Outside Contractors an
in house background check will be done by
the NIST Police.
e. Conference, Meeting, Seminar Attendee
- An alphabetical list of attendees must be
provided to the Visitor Center.
- An event Attendee Badge will be issued for
the length of the event.
- Access to the site is for business days,
Monday through Friday, 6:00 AM to 7:00 PM
unless otherwise approved by NIST Police.
f. Foreign National Visitor
- All Foreign
National Forms be submitted to
the Security Office.
- Foreign Nationals who will be on site for
more than 30 days must complete background
investigation paperwork and submit the
associated documents to the security
- Personnel with a NIST Police issued Site
Access Card (Employee and Affiliate) and are
alone in the vehicle, can enter the site
though the left entry lane.
- The left entry gate is activated by swiping
a badge or using a PIN to open the gate.
- Drivers holding an Employee/Affiliate badge
with passengers must use the right lane.
- All categories of visitors must use the
right lane and produce his/her badge for
inspection by the security guard.
- All personnel entering the site must display
a valid parking permit.
- BLUE parking permit denotes those personnel
who have been issued a Boulder Site Access
- RED parking permit is used for all
- Non-Boulder Labs Federal employees will be
issued a RED parking permit for the length of
their stay by the guard at the Vehicle Check
- Motorcycles do not require a parking permit.
Site Badge Office
Building 1 / Room 4508;
Hours: 9:00-10:30 & 12:00 - 1:30
Lost & Found (303-497-3530)
NIST Police Non-Emergency:
NIST Police Emergency:
Medical/Fire Emergency: Dial
911 then 303-497-7777
Aug 6, 2013